Do games tell stories?
ludology vs. narratology
reader/story vs. player/game
a random selection from discussions in the gamestudies
- Gonzalo Frasca, LUDOLOGY MEETS NARRATOLOGY: Similitude and differences between (video)games and narrative. 1999
- Markku Eskelinen, The Gaming Situation, 2001
- Jesper Juul, Games Telling stories? - A brief note on games and narratives, 2001
- Henry Jenkins, Game Design as Narrative Architecture
- Jan Simons, Narrative, Games, and Theory, 2007
- DIGRA: Michael Nitsche – RATTLING CAGES, 2007
- Why Video Games Work Better Without Narration
Players tell stories!
let's playlet's play archive
Dwarf Fortress - Boatmurdered by Various
No matter what I do, they just won't stop DYING. There are now 39 living dwarves in Boatmurdered, of whom 10 are injured, two are jailed, and several are insane.
Gaming as artistic expression
Interactive Fictionchat bot
- Adventures als Ereignis und Zählung, Claus Pias, 2002
- MUDs / Zork, 1991 / Zork (telnet)
- Point&Click Workshop, KHM, 2010
- Heavy Rain...
CHIPATTACK a story by PolyCubeMan & Atomtwist
Sleep Is Death (game)